Hello from New York City! Okay…I’ve actually been home for a week or so, sorting through catalogs and deciding what accessories I’ll be adding to The Simple Home collection this fall. But I did get to spend a fabulous girl’s weekend in The Big Apple, checking out NY Now, the HGTV Blogger Block Party (where we got to meet HGTV Magazine Editor, Sara Peterson!), and taking in all of the style of our East Coast friends.
I thought I’d share some of our favorite finds from the show, and give you the inside scoop on what we’re seeing in the accessory world.
Our 5 Favorite Trends from the show include:
1. Soft, soft, soft…luxurious faux fir – It’s no wonder the patients at our Alzheimer’s and Dementia units love these fabrics!
2. Chunky, Metallic Blankets & Pillows – we want these all over our houses! Time for a bedroom makeover?
3. Retro Accessories – the bright colors & whimsical designs are so fun, we couldn’t get enough!
4. More Metallics – touches of silver and gold everywhere!
5. Faux Animal Busts, Geometric shapes…and Unicorns! – Need we say more?
We were really excited to check out the HGTV Blogger Block Party while we were in New York, and we weren’t disappointed. We got to make mini (travel-friendly!) terrariums, check out some great DIY project ideas, and we were taken by surprise when Sara Petersen, editor of HGTV Magazine came up and started chatting with us about what we’d seen at NYNow!
I got to try out the Wagner Flexio paint sprayer…be still my heart. This will save so much time when I’m working on furniture and projects at home! I’m smitten…and being right next to Jason Cameron was only part of it!
Mel and I also tried our hand at the Chinet Table Styling Challenge! We got only 60 seconds to use a variety of Chinet accessories to style a beautiful table – I think we did pretty well! I was surprised by the variety of items they have, and impressed by how stylish everything was (not your mama’s white picnic plates!)
We had a great time in NYC, and I look forward to going back again next year! I always leave inspired, and have fresh ideas of how to bring style and functionality to my clients – and let’s be honest, there will be some metallic accessories coming to my own home this fall…and maybe a unicorn head!